Human Services - Children's Services
318 Knight Avenue North
P.O. Box 340
Thief River Falls, MN 56701
Children's services are provided to: Families with children under the age of 18 who are experiencing neglect or
abuse, pregnant adolescents, adolescent parents under age 18 and their children, adolescents under the guardianship of the
Commissioner of Human Services as state wards, emotionally distrubed children and adolescents and children and adolescents
involved in or at risk of involvement with criminal activity.
- Child Protection Services:Screening reports of suspected abuse or neglect, conduct investigations, arrange for
safe placement out of home when a child(ren) are in imminent danger of maltreatment and conduct case management and
permanency planning activities in active cases.
- Foster Care:Recruitment, licensing and continuing training of individuals to provide foster care for children
who have been abused or neglected by their parents and canot safely remain at home.
- Children's Mental Health Services:Provision of mental health services to children with emotional disturbance
and their families.
- Family Preservation ServicesIn-home services to prevent out-of-home placement or to help facilitate the safe
return of the child(ren) to their parent(s). This service is provided to families who are at high risk of entering the
child protection system and to families who are presently in the system due to substantiated maltreatment.
- Adoption ServicesConducting home studies and placement in an adoptive home of children who are wards of the
state (parental rights have been terminated by the court).
- Child PlacementOut-of-home placement of children from abuse or neglect, for treatment of emotional disorders
or chemical depencendy or placement due to deliquent acts committed by a juvenile.
- Minor Parent Services:Services provided to a minor, who has a child, to develop a plan to ensure their safety